News   /   Politics

Trump seriously considering Iran's offer of indirect nuclear talks: Report

The file photo provided by the White House shows US President Donald Trump signing an executive order.

The administration of US President Donald Trump is seriously considering Iran's proposal for indirect nuclear talks, while at the same time significantly boosting its occupation forces in the West Asian region for possible anti-Tehran operations, according to American media. 

The Virginia-based news website Axios cited two unnamed US officials as making the statement in a report on Wednesday.

“The Trump administration thinks direct talks would have a higher chance of success but isn't ruling out the format the Iranians proposed and doesn't object to the Omanis serving as mediators between the countries, as the [Persian] Gulf state has in the past,” one of the officials said.

Both US officials underlined that no decision has been made and internal discussions are ongoing, with one saying, "After the exchange of letters we are now exploring next steps in order to begin conversations and trust building with the Iranians.”

The news website reported that the White House is still engaged in an internal debate between those who think a deal with Iran is achievable and those who disregard talks and back strikes on the country’s nuclear facilities, with the Pentagon significantly building up of forces in West Asia.

Trump threatened over the weekend that he might order military strikes against Iran if Tehran refused to enter negotiations to “make a new deal” on its nuclear program.

During his first term in office, Trump withdrew the United States from a previous agreement on Iran’s nuclear program and launched a maximum pressure campaign against the country.

Trump restored that policy after returning to the White House for a second term in January, but he has since signaled a willingness to make a new deal to replace the 2015 deal, officially called the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).

On March 12, Trump sent a letter to Iran’s leadership, asking for negotiations to reach a new deal and threatening military action if Tehran refused.

Iran has ruled out direct negotiations with the US under pressure and threats but says indirect talks remain an option.

US advised to go for economic interests with Iran: Larijani

In a related development, a senior advisor to Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said the United States can opt for economic interests with Iran instead of military action against Tehran as a military strike bears consequences for Washington.

Ali Larijani’s statement in a post on X came after Trump's threats to use military confrontation against Iran for its nuclear program, which has on numerous times been confirmed peaceful by UN authorities and its atomic watchdog.

“Mr. Trump is a talented individual who has managed to become very wealthy in his business. The United States can define economic interests with Iran,” Larijani wrote.

“Trump says he is a peace-seeker, so he should not speak of threats and war. An attack on Iran would not be without consequences, and we have experienced military commanders.”

Larijani had earlier warned that if the United States and Israel bombed Iran under any nuclear pretext, the Islamic Republic might have no choice but to go nuclear.


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.ir

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Press TV News Roku